The blog is not finished! But after the Theft (yes, capital letters), the want/need to update the blog took second fiddle to dealing with the Theft and just finishing the trip sans computer. Since being home, it's been hard to get that motivation to complete it. But I will. Ever so slowly. Please be patient!

Monday, January 11, 2010

The Back Story

This entire journey, this trip I am going to be taking, really began with a realization over my financial situation. I was working nearly full time and attempting to go to university at the same time. In April of 2007, it became clear to me that I was no longer mentally or financially capable to keep going to school. The decision to take a break from finishing my degree wasn’t a really hard one when it became clear that I wouldn’t be able to afford to pay off my current tuition for months.

Things turned around that summer when I picked up a second job in addition to the one I was currently working at. That job included many many tips which began to accumulate. When school was paid off, an idea began to form. What if I save up these tips and my cheques from my other job and go on a bit of a trip? And that’s exactly what I did.

What trip though? I was not even in the realm of considering going to a resort. It’s all well and good for some people, but I personally don’t have the will to spend $3000 to go to a resort to sit on a beach and get drunk. I can do that for $50 at the lake in the summer. Plus, I can get free food if my grandparents are there too.

A little research brought me to discovering GAP Adventures. Something like that spoke to me. It was different, something that most people I know have never done. And it wasn’t a resort. It was in the community, interacting with people. Being in the hotel industry, I loved that aspect.

I am not sure where exactly the idea of an Adventure trip turned into something more. I think as I got more invested in reading more and more, I stumbled across a blog by Eric Trinidad(see links list) and a lightbulb clicked on inside me. That is what I want to do! I was 22 years old. I wanted to do something outrageous before I had to settle down.

I am now 24 years old. I have finished my Bachelor of Arts Honours Degree in Political Studies, and I am well on my way to achieving my monetary goal and leaving for this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment